Monday, August 31, 2009

Roma (August 27-August 31)

Well we finally arrived in Rome. We were absolutely exhausted from sleeping in
the Athens airport and Becca was feeling sick (she actually ended up having pink eye). We got to our hostel which was a massive cluster. Neither of us were in good spirits and we decided we needed to find a doctor and switch hostels. We stayed at our original hostel the first night though.

Ended up walking all over Rome trying to find a general eye doctor. We were finally able to find one and Becca was able to get her eye drops. After that we checked into our new hostel which was must nicer, our own room, clean, and quiet. I was able to see Emily and then Becca and I rested for the rest of the day. At this point I was feeling extremely discouraged about the upcoming months in Rome. Our bad mood, Becca being sick, both of us tired, and it being so dang hot all contributed to my low spirits.

Luckily, the next day we both felt better. We decided to do a little exploring. We walked over to the Colosseum and then saw where the Circus Maximum used to be. After that we walked over to the Bathes of Caracella, the public bathes the Romans used to use. Then we walked up to the Pantheon. I thought of Mr. Lambert and my high school humanities class! It was so incredible to see this perfectly constructed building. Later we walked to the Piazza di S. Lorenezo in Lucino and found a Baptist church that my missionary friends, the Halls, recommended to me. If I am able to figure out the bus system from my apartment, I hope to go to this church! It is right by the Spanish Steps. Very cool.

Becca left early morning on August 30th. After she left, I walked, by myself, back to my hostel from Termini. If you know me at all, you know this is a big deal because I hate to go ANYWHERE alone. But I knew Bruce (my international travel angel) was with me. Well I know he is with me always. Anyyyways..met up with Emily and her mom later in the day and we tried to find our way back to our apartment. There is literally one bus, the H, that can get us to Viale Trastevere, and apparently it doesn't run on Sundays. So we spent the entire day trying to figure out the buses. It was very frustrating.

Today was better though..We found the H bus and we were able to see the area that we would be living in for the next three and a half months. I move in tomorrow and I am very excited to start meeting new people, both from DU and from other schools.

I have yet to be homesick at all. I did miss my niece's first birthday which was a huge bummer, but I know I am going to be missing out on a lot of things over the next few months. I am feeling better about my time in Rome. I think I am going to learn a lot, see a lot, do a lot, and figure a lot out. I am enjoying being alone in my hostel and I look forward to being more comfortable with going on into the city and spending more time by myself or with Jesus. I know my heart needs a lot of dedicated Jesus time and I am really counting on Him meeting me in Rome. :)

That's all for now! I'll write more when more exciting things happen!

Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment